| Press Release |
Maker of Premium Supplements Announces Commitment to Progressive Business Practices and Environmental Stewardship
Manchester, NH (March 7, 2018)—MegaFood®, an award-winning dietary supplement brand whose products are made with real, whole foods, is proud to announce it is now a Certified B Corporation. Certified by the global nonprofit, B Lab, to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, this certification underscores MegaFood’s mission to nourish a world in nutritional crisis through education, community and conscientious farming practices.
A growing global network, Certified B Corporations use the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. As a Certified B Corporation, MegaFood is now primed to become a driver of change in the creation of meaningful jobs, the improvement of lives, and the application of best business practices. In addition to promoting greater alignment with employees, retailers, vendors and consumers, this certification also helps MegaFood benchmark and improve its social and environmental contributions over time.
“At MegaFood, we envision a world without nutritional poverty—a planet where everyone is nourished,” said Robert Craven, MegaFood CEO. “Becoming certified as a B Corporation is an important step in ensuring that vision becomes a reality in our lifetime. B Corp certification gives us clear guidelines and targets to shoot for, allowing us to operationalize and express our passion to solve our nutritional crisis in a number of ways. By baking social impact directly into our corporate strategies and holding ourselves to a higher standard, we’re positioned to change this world for the good.”
While the MegaFood brand has always aligned with B Corp social impact standards, the company began its formal certification efforts in late 2017. Championed by MegaFood Vice President of Social Impact, Sara Newmark, the company has implemented the following strategic initiatives to support its B Corp certification:
- Revised corporate bylaws to include social, environmental and economic diligence, ensuring the company stays on course, regardless of short-term and/or financial factors.
- Established its Farm Fresh Partner program, a network of local farmers from which MegaFood sources its whole food ingredients. MegaFood envisions working with partners within this network to implement farming practices that better align with the principles of regenerative agriculture and ethical sourcing.
- Began development of a global verification standard for food grown in a regenerative way in partnership with The Carbon Underground and Green America, that results in improved soil health, improved human health, and a reduction of the threat from climate change. This work builds upon the Regenerative Agriculture Initiative that has over 150 companies, organizations and scientists as signatories.
- Became the first supplement brand to obtain glyphosate residue free (GRF) certification for its entire line of products. The certification was granted by The Detox Project, an independent research and certification organization, after MegaFood submitted its products to an independent, third-party laboratory for testing and was found to have met The Detox Project’s stringent standards.
- Integrated social impact as a crucial role in company-wide performance evaluations.
- Initiated a formal strategy for improving MegaFood employees’ well being by offering richer development opportunities through self-leadership and providing high-quality comprehensive benefits packages, including compassionate personal leave programs, competitive salaries and bonus opportunities. The company has also committed to ensuring that employees are paid above the published living wage rate in its local recruiting area.
“Certified B Corporations distinguish themselves by committing to higher standards of transparency, accountability and performance, creating a better way of doing business,” said Jay Coen Gilbert, Co-Founder of B Lab. “B Corps come from over 130 different industries and over 50 countries, and MegaFood is among a handful of premium supplement companies that have achieved this status.”
“All of us at MegaFood are extremely excited about the road we are on towards formalizing our social impact,” adds Sara Newmark, MegaFood Vice President of Social Impact. “We’re deeply committed to ensuring a more sustainable future through our work, and this certification better enables us to make progress in solving the needs of a world in nutritional crisis.”
To learn more about MegaFood, please visit www.megafood.com.
Fresh From Farm To Tablet™, MegaFood is committed to improving lives by delivering the most authentic nourishment possible. Since 1973, MegaFood has remained dedicated to producing the cleanest and highest quality, award-winning supplements made with real food from Farm Fresh Partners. A pioneer in the natural products industry, MegaFood was the first company to make its FoodState vitamin and minerals from scratch starting with farm fresh whole foods. MegaFood remains devoted to its “Big T Transparency” platform and is proud to be the first supplements brand to have its entire line certified Glyphosate Residue Free by The Detox Project. MegaFood continues to innovate by manufacturing more than 44 individual FoodState nutrients using their proprietary Slo-Food ProcessTM, all in their own facility in New Hampshire. Their FoodState nutrients are blended and combined to create over 60 handcrafted supplements that make up the MegaFood product line today, found in over 3,500 natural products retailers and vitamin specialty shops throughout the United States. For more information, visit MegaFood.com.
About B Lab
B Lab is a nonprofit organization that serves a global movement of people using business as a force for good™. Its vision is that one day all companies compete not only to be the best in the world, but the Best for the World® and as a result society will enjoy a more shared and durable prosperity. B Lab drives this systemic change by:
- Building a global community of Certified B Corporations who meet the highest standards of verified, overall social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability;
- Promoting Mission Alignment using innovative corporate structures like the benefit corporation to align the interests of business with those of society and to help high impact businesses be built to last;
- Helping tens of thousands of businesses, investors, and institutions Measure What Matters, by using the B Impact Assessment and B Analytics to manage their impact — and the impact of the businesses with whom they work — with as much rigor as their profits;
- Inspiring millions to join the movement through compelling story-telling by B the Change Media.
For up to date stats and more information, visit www.bcorporation.net.