To Make the Certification Possible, MegaFood worked with the Non-GMO Project to Help Establish New Industry-Wide Verification Standards for the Probiotic Category
MANCHESTER, NH (April 5, 2017) – MegaFood, a leader in the natural supplement industry, today became one of the first supplement brands to add the Non-GMO Project Verified seal to a probiotic product. MegaFood’s probiotic line, MegaFlora®, includes six different customized formulas, all containing the MegaFlora 14 strain blend, with additional strains chosen for their clinically-proven ability to offer tangible health benefits to the digestive system, immune health and overall well- being*. In addition to non-GMO, all MegaFlora products are also tested to be free of gluten, dairy and soy, and are tested for traces of 125+ different pesticides and herbicides.
Offered through the Non-GMO Project, a mission-driven nonprofit organization dedicated to building and protecting a non-GMO food supply, the Non-GMO Project Verified seal gives shoppers the assurance that a product has completed comprehensive third-party verification for compliance with the Non-GMO Project Standard, and is widely viewed as North America’s most trusted third-party verification for non-GMO food and products. Through ongoing insight from dozens of industry experts, the Non-GMO Project Standard is a consensus-based document reflecting a dynamic range of perspectives; in a world of shifting and quickly developed technologies, the Standard remains current and collaborative.
“While our MegaFlora line has always been non-GMO, we knew the Non-GMO Project Verifiedseal is the gold standard in non-GMO labeling and it was important for us to provide our consumers with that trusted third-party assurance. However, the very nature of probiotics made it challenging to achieve the Non-GMO Project Verified seal for our MegaFlora line. We were thrilled to be able to work directly with the Non-GMO Project to evolve their standards to better fit the unique aspects of live cultures, without changing either our formulas or the Project’s stringent requirements for verification,” said Stacey Gillespie, MegaFood Director of Innovation.
“Through our intensive work with the Coalition for Supplement Sustainability (CSS), we have been consistently impressed by the dedication and knowledge of the team at MegaFood. Never shying away from a commitment to the highest standards possible, MegaFood and its partners in CSS have been instrumental in moving the supply chain forward and giving the vitamin and supplement industry a voice in the evolution of non-GMO standards,” says Megan Westgate, Executive Director of the Non-GMO Project. “We are grateful to see companies like MegaFood committed to preserving and building the supply for probiotics that have not been genetically engineered and are excited to see the Non-GMO Project butterfly on their probiotics!”
MegaFood’s MegaFlora line of probiotics is designed to support the unique needs of men, women and children during various phases of life.
● MegaFlora® for Women: Includes Organic Cranberry, a superfruit rich in proanthocyanidins which have been known to support urinary tract health,* from MegaFood farm partner James Lake Farms. FoodState Prebiotic Food Blend promotes the growth of good bacteria.*
● MegaFlora® for Over 50: Contains a broad spectrum of probiotics designed to encourage regularity, healthy bowel function and proper digestion for reduced gas and bloating.* FoodState® Turmeric Root helps maintain a healthy inflammatory response of the colon.*
● MegaFlora® for Baby & Me: Supports immune health and nutrient absorption in pregnant mother and child.* Organic Ginger, from Kauai Organic Farms, helps soothe upset stomachs and promotes healthy digestive function.*
● MegaFlora®: The original formula, MegaFlora, contains 20 billion active bacteria to support intestinal health as well as bowel regularity and immunity, and restores and maintains balance of healthy probiotics.*
● MegaFlora® Plus: Contains 50 billion active bacteria and is recommended after a course of antibiotics or traveling abroad.
● MegaFlora Kids Probiotic: Contains 5 billion active bacteria to gently maintain intestinal health, bowel regularity and immunity.* Recommended for adults and children over 5 years of age.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
© FoodState, Inc. 2017
Carina Zito, Senior Account Executive at 360PR+