Iron-rich beets and homemade seed topping? Yes please! Delight your family (and yourself!) with this healthy and energizing recipe from our friend and environmental lifestyle expert Danny Seo.
Chai glazed beets
- 3 large beets, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, cut into slices
- 10 cardamom pods
- 20 black peppercorns
- 10 cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 6 filtered cups water, or enough to cover
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place beets, ginger slices, cardamom pods, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon sticks, salt, maple syrup and water in a medium pot (optional: wrap spices in cheesecloth for easy removal).
- Bring beets to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until beets are slightly tender (do not overcook).
- Remove beets, spices and ginger slices and reduce beet cooking liquid for approximately 10 minutes, or until a syrup-like consistency forms.
- Pour syrup and lemon juice over beets before serving, and toss gently.
- Garnish beets with crispy seeds (see recipe below).
Crispy seed topping
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup black sesame seeds
- pinch sea salt, or to taste
- Melt coconut oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add pumpkin and sunflower seeds and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Seeds will become golden and pop slightly.
- Remove seed from pan onto paper towel-lined surface to drain excess oil. Add in the black sesame seeds and pinch of sea salt.