| Maryea Flaherty |
I have a confession to make. I’m not really a fun food kind of mom. It’s not because I have anything against turning food into something creative. Actually, I see fun food creations and I think, “Oh, I should do that.”
But then, I never do.
There are probably a couple of factors at work here. One, I lack the patience for it. I use it all up on my family and preparing all the homemade food I already make. More work? No patience.
The second factor is my own insecurities. Everytime I actually try to turn food into something cute and fun I feel like it looks like a second grader did it. Pinterest failures? I could be the head of that class.
I decided that just this once I could muster up some extra patience and swallow my insecurities to make these Chocolate Covered Apple Turkey Pops for Thanksgiving. At first, when I saw the results of my efforts, I was deflated.
These don’t look like turkeys.
These are so sloppy.
I’m a failure as a mother.
Just kidding about that last one. I never thought that.
But I was feeling like they weren’t up to snuff. Then I showed them to my kids.
So. Much. Excitement. They loved these before they even tasted them. And after they tasted them they loved them even more. Suddenly, I felt like a million bucks. Nothing like a boost of confidence from your five and nine year olds, right?
This experience made me realize something important.
Our kids don’t want perfection. The effort I made was more than enough for them. They knew that I took extra time out of my day to make their apples look like turkeys. They showed real, actual appreciation for it.
Even though I still don’t consider myself a fun food mom (have you seen my kids’ boring lunches on my Instagram stories??) I know I’ll be doing this kind of thing a little more often. It’s worth the excitement my kids had.
Before I get to the recipe, I have a quick secret for you. Even though these Chocolate Covered Apple Turkey Pops are a special treat I created for Thanksgiving, they are a special treat with a nutritional boost. Why not?!
We all know what comes along with the holiday season: too much sugar and not enough sleep. We can try to avoid is as much as we want, but it’s inevitable that our kids are going to be eating more sugar and probably sleeping a little less than usual when the hustle and bustle of the season kicks in.
Do you know what sugar and lack of sleep do to an immune system? Yep. Both things take a major toll on the strength of our kids’ immune system. These Chocolate Covered Apple Turkey Pops are going to help counteract that because they are boosted with MegaFood's Kids Daily Immune Nutrient Booster Powder™
As moms, we have to do whatever we can and for me, MegaFood's nutritional booster powders have been such a blessing. I try really hard to get the best of nutrition in my kids through the food they eat, but sometimes, I know I fall short. That’s where these awesome nutritional booster powders come in.
The Kids’ Daily Immune nutritional booster powder is formulated to support a healthy immune response in our kids.* Do you know a kid that couldn’t use that this time of year?
Let me tell you a little bit about how this nutritional booster powder will support your kids’ immune response.* It’s made with astragalus and echinacea, two powerful herbs that are known to strengthen the immune system.* It also had elderberry, which I’ve used for years now as a supplement to help maintain optimal immune health during the fall and winter season.* It’s also made with organic oranges, blueberries and cranberries. These three fruits provide deep pigmented natural phytonutrients for additional antioxidant protection.*
The best part is your kids won’t even know it’s there. If you can add some immune-boosting power* to your kids’ Thanksgiving treat, why wouldn’t you? Find out where you can pick up the Kids Daily Immune Nutrient Booster Powder™by checking the store locator here.
Here’s a quick picture tutorial showing how easy it really is to make these Chocolate Covered Turkey Apple Pops. Have fun making them!
Chocolate Covered Apple Turkey Pops
Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: Kids Snacks
Servings: 8 pops
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 6 scoops MegaFood Kids Daily Immune Nutrient Booster Powder™
- 2 large apples sliced thick
- ~1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 16 white chocolate chips
- 1 baby carrot thinly sliced lengthwise and then cut into eight small triangles (see pictures)
- 8 lollipop sticks
- Slice your apples thickly. You want to make sure each apple slice is thick enough that it can accommodate a stick and not break or split. Pick out the seeds as best you can.
- Now you add sticks to the apple slices.
- Next you want to melt your chocolate. Once it is melted, stir in the coconut oil and 6 scoops of MegaFood Kids Daily Immune nutritional booster powder.
- Now you’re ready to dip the apple pops into the chocolate. You can use a spatula to help spread the chocolate so it covers the whole apple.
- Place the dipped apples onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Working quickly, use the almond slices to create turkey feathers, white chocolate chips for eyes, and carrot triangles for the beak.
- Put the tray in the freezer for 10 minutes.
* This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
This post is sponsored by MegaFood. All opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that make it possible to keep me spreading my mission through Happy Healthy Mama!