Another favorite recipe from our friend, chef and environmental lifestyle expert Danny Seo! This time, he’s sharing the perfect dish for a satisfying and not overly sweet breakfast.
Yield: Four 8-ounce servings
- 3 medium beets
- 2 cups filtered water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Cut beets lengthwise into small wedges and add to a large sauté pan. Reserve smaller beet tops for garnish.
- Add water, salt, oil and vinegar to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook on high for 10 minutes, or until almost all the liquid has evaporated, skimming off any foam.
- Turn off flame, cover pan with a lid, and allow beets to steam for 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and chill in freezer for 5 minutes, or until cold.
Spiced Maple Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Fold together pumpkin seeds, maple syrup, pepper and salt in a small bowl. Line baking tray with parchment paper. Spread seed mixture into a single layer.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the moisture of the maple syrup has evaporated, stirring mixture halfway during the cooking process.
- 1 orange
- 1 quart organic whole milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Zest orange, avoiding the pith (approximately 1 tablespoon), into medium bowl. Juice the same orange (approximately 2/3 cup) into the bowl. Add yogurt, olive oil to orange mixture.
- Stir to combine, return to container and refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve, place yogurt in bowl. Top with beets and spiced maple pumpkin seeds.
Good to know: Make this dish for a satisfying and not overly sweet breakfast.