MegaFood | July 2020
When it comes to your health, knowing what is in the food you eat and products you take is important. As a supplement maker, it is important that we be as clear as we possibly can on our labeling so you can make the right decisions for you and your family, while also ensuring we’re meeting the latest guidelines set by the US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and other regulatory bodies.
While reviewing the latest regulations and labeling guidelines and making the appropriate adjustments (we’ll get into a few in a moment!), we opted to take this opportunity to make a handful of other changes on our labels that you can expect to see soon. Here are some things you may notice:
- FDA disclaimer placement
- You’re probably accustomed to seeing the following disclaimer on your supplements - now, you may see it on the front of the label rather than the back!
- Improved Supplement Facts Panel formatting
- Supplement Facts Panels can be challenging to understand when they are different from brand to brand. To make them easier to read, we’ve improved how we format them so you can more easily find and understand the information you need.
- Updates to suggested use (“take with water”), etc.
- We often get questions about the best way to take our products, so when applicable, you may see a change in the Suggested Use of your favorite product.
- Add “Keep out of reach of children” statement to products that do not already have it
- Don’t let this one alarm you! For added safety, we want to make it clear which formulas are not appropriate for children with the appropriate statement right on the label. No more having to wonder if your kiddos can share your multi!
- Updated seal order
- Our purity seals and certifications are important to us, and help you select a product that meets your specific needs and values. The seals aren’t going anywhere, we simply updated the order they appear in!
- And more!
Perhaps the most notable label change, however, will appear within the Supplement Facts Panel and pertains to our MegaFood Minerals (those that we create in-house with our unique Slo-Food Process!). We are often asked about the form our minerals are delivered in, which has always been a challenging question to answer. While folks are accustomed to answers such as “calcium citrate” or “ferrous sulfate,” our unique process ends with a mineral complex produced from an aerobic (meaning in the presence of oxygen) fermentation process that uses nutritional yeast.
To help make this easier to understand, we are revising the way we list our MegaFood minerals from “yeast bound mineral complex” to “fermented mineral bisglycinate,” for example, as it is a more precise description of the finished mineral being delivered. To better understand this, let’s take a look at our process, using Blood Builder as an example:
The objective of our process is to deliver vitamins and minerals in a food nutrient complex. To craft our minerals, we begin with a specific single mineral in the form of an amino acid chelate with glycine (iron bisglycinate, for example). It is important to note, however, that this is the starting point, and not the form being delivered in the end product. Instead, from here live yeast is added to consume and transform the iron bisglycinate through aerobic fermentation into fermented iron bisglycinate - A MegaFood mineral. Now, we have a form of iron that is delivered in a food nutrient complex, and can be taken any time of day, even on an empty stomach.
In addition to those listed here, there are also a number of smaller updates being made to our labels to enhance their readability, though it is important to note that this is a label-update only, and our products and process HAVE NOT changed. While we understand there may be an adjustment, we ultimately hope these updates make it easier for you and your family to find the products that are right for you! If you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our team at 800-848-2542, or via Live Chat!
Want to learn more about what makes MegaFood different? Well, as a vitamin and supplement company, we work toward a world where everyone is truly nourished. We want to change the world, starting with food.
We work with trusted farm partners, and together, we are a force for good. From creating premium products with radical transparency, to committing to organic and regenerative agriculture, we are nourishing our world from the roots by filling nutritional gaps and revolutionizing a broken farming system.
And as a proud B Corporation, we’re also cultivating a community of transparent suppliers, working to enable a thriving workforce, and supporting businesses, communities, and programs that share these same goals and values. All for a healthier, more sustainable and more resilient future.
That’s Nutrition with Ambition™. Are you ready to join us?